Monday, June 21, 2010

Ear trumpets

Time has flown, and so have the pages on my beautiful black Penguin Classics paperback edition of The Pickwick Papers. It's entertaining, it's funny, it's full of valuable advice - and it was written by someone who was only 24 years old when he did it. Go Charles, you are the best.

I am not far from the very last chapter of the book which I've been carrying faithfully with me for the last couple of days in commuter trains, on my way to yoga, and also to the Turku archipelago where I spent three rainy nights last weekend. What better way to spend a late evening than hearing the rain pour into the sea outside, strapping on a flashlight to your forehead and immersing yourself in the adventures of Samuel Pickwick, who is on a quest to explore all the sorts of characters his home country has to offer. On the way, we meet some hilarious characters like the ancient Mrs Wardle, who, brandishing a huge ear-trumpet, pretends to be deaf, although she can very well hear the people she chooses to listen to.

By the way, today was the longest day of the year and there was a fantastic sunset just now as I travelled home from visiting friends in Leppävaara. Although it's still not very warm, summer has arrived to Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment